Works by Otto Eder available in our gallery
Otto Eder (Seeboden am Ossiachersee / Carinthia 1924 – 1982) first attended the sculpture class at the School of Applied Arts in Villach. After the war he studied sculpture at the School of Applied Arts in Graz with Walter Ritter, then at the Vienna Academy with Fritz Wotruba (diploma 1951).
The Austrian State Prize for Sculpture (1962) was followed by further prizes and scholarships, as well as numerous partial names at symposia and exhibitions.
In 1967 he began work in the Krastal quarry near Villach. He was co-founder of the association “Meeting in Carinthia – Workshop Krastal”. Already at the beginning of the 1950s Otto Eder developed a new, then sensational technique of “dowel sculptures” made of stones placed on top of each other. Later he reduced the forms to physical-round, mostly female figures. His oeuvre is one of the most important sculptural achievements in Austrian art of the 20th century.