(Feldafing on Lake Starnberg 1881-1960), the son of Edward Theodore Compton and his successor, was introduced as a child in the art of Alpine painting. On joint walks with his father, he soon learned the most important aspects of craftsmanship and began to draw sketches independently at a young age.
At the Thüringer boarding school in Schnepfenthal, his drawing teacher was the well-known art teacher Reinhold Gerbing, after which he devoted himself entirely to working in his father’s studio. He developed the predilection for the landscape of the foothills and the area around Trento.
Light and shadow techniques, the sunny view through the beech forests, autumnal moods on the border between water and forest, are the main features of his art. In 1907, for the first time, a number of his works were shown in the Munich Kunstverein (from Karwendel, Lake Garda and the Kaisergebirge, “Geisterschmiede bei Kufstein”, etc.).
Other exhibitions, including at the Royal Academy in London, in Bradford and in Berlin, ensured his reputation as an accomplished landscape painter.