Hans Bischoffshausen

Feld am See in Oberkärnten 1927 – 1987 Villach.
 
Architecture study in Graz, employment as self-taught with the Classical Modern. 1957 first solo exhibition at the Galleria del Cavallino in Venice, followed by an exhibition in the Galerie nächst St. Stephan, Vienna. In 1959 he moves to Paris, where he joins the group “Zero-Avantgarde”.
 
1963 First solo exhibition in Paris at Galerie Weiler; followed by exhibitions in Klagenfurt, The Hague, Rome and in the Kunsthalle Bern, then again several exhibitions in France. 1964-1968 he publishes his own cultural journal in which – as a result of the failed Paris 68 revolution – mostly pessimistic articles on art and culture appear.
 
1971 return to Austria, 1977 large retrospective in the Carinthian Provincial Gallery. In the 80s simplification (“brutalization”) of artistic means. Bischoffshausen undertakes many trips (including to Taiwan, which were processed in a “Taiwan Report” series) to gain more distance to the difficult bearable “cultural operation”. Increasing isolation and health problems characterize the last years of life of this great Austrian avant-gardist, whose proximity to the “Zero” group, and especially to the art of Lucio Fontana, is still insufficiently appreciated.

Works by Hans Bischoffshausen:

Fenster, 1957

Saviage on plywood

30,5 x 34 cm

signed twice, signed, titled and dated on the reverse Fig .: in “More than Zero”, page 67

Apparition, 1962

PVC on chipboard, dispersion

31 x 24 cm

Signed on the reverse, titled (Paris) and dated (1962)

Dedicated to Martin Esterl. December 62

If you are interested in the works of this artist, please send us an inquiry!

Logo von der Galerie Magnet