Kappel am Krappfeld / Carinthia 1919 – 2014 Vienna
1941 admission to the master class Wilhelm Dachauer at the Academy of Fine Arts in Vienna.
In 1943, her painting is described by the professor as “degenerate” and she has to leave class. Afterwards recording with Professor Ferdinan Andri. The exercise in nude drawing by Professor Herbert Boeckl gives her important artistic and art critical impulses.
From 1945 she works in her studio in Klagenfurt, which is also a meeting place for poets and painters such as Guttenbrunner, Clementschitsch, Rainer, Hölzer u.a. applies.
1951 moved to Vienna, then a scholarship for Paris, where she maintains contacts with Breton, Perét and Celan.
Returned to the Academy in Vienna in 1954 and completed his studies (Prof. A. P. Gütersloh).
Together with Arnulf Rainer, Mikl, Hollegha and Prachensky, she belongs to the group around the Galerie nächst St. Stephan.
Moved to Paris in 1961, followed by exhibitions in Paris and Vienna.
In 1968, she decides to emigrate to America – the dissatisfaction with the acceptance of her art almost force her to do so. Attended a three-month cartoon course at New York’s School of Visual Arts, own animated cartoons.
1978 scholarship for Berlin, then 1979 return to New York.
In 1980 Lassnig became a professor at the Academy of Applied Arts in Vienna, with her own master class. Lassnig’s works were exhibited in 1982 and 1997 at documenta in Kassel. During this period numerous solo exhibitions were held, such as the Museum of the 20th Century in Vienna.
From the 1990s also in Paris, New York, The Hague, Frankfurt am Main, Zurich, Munich and Rome.
Late honors mark the last phase of their lives. Today Maria Lassnig is considered one of the most important and versatile Austrian artists of the 20th century.